May has been a busy month for us. Jesse finished up his second new class this year. He taught Advanced Seismology and Geodynamics - two math intensive classes that made him max out all his available brain power. I flew to New York to do some lab work and then wrote my first grant proposal. The soft money track would definitely be a tough road - and I haven't even gotten my first rejection! But the one thing we learned this month - the kids are very sensitive to Mommy's stress level. We couldn't figure out why they were so cranky - day in and day out. Then mommy finished her draft and suddenly they were little angels. Somehow the one-to-one correlation doesn't seem as strong with Jesse and his stress level. Knowing this makes the Fall seem like a black cloud of temper tantrums looming over us. I'll be teaching 1.5 classes, one of which is new. But for now we're happy to have the prospect of a slower summer. A a little slower. In a week Jesse is off to Yellowstone to deploy seismometers, my parents come in to help me out and the we all meet up in Yellowstone for a vacation.
Gryffin and his broom! What can I say but this seems to be pretty common - boys love to "clean!" He would sleep with this broom if he could.
Lately, he' also become obsessed with Daddy's guitar. He oscillates between wanting us to play and waning to "play" himself. But it's way too big for him to handle himself. So, we prop it up with pillows and he plays it sideways.
Zailey doesn't quite have the obsession with single objects like Gryffin, but she does LOVE her helmet. She even eats with it!
Over the past 2 months we've had another language explosion, they're up to 2 word phrases. Most of Zailey's are commands - "Mommy sit" "Mommy up" "More peaches" "Light on". But for the first time 2 nights ago she said "Love you" just as I laid her into her crib for the night. Absolutely melted my heart. Gryffin has fewer 2 word phrases right now but he loves to declare himself "Happy" or declare his actions as "Funny" - both are said with the biggest grin and then a giggle. Too cute!
The other thing we've really started to notice is that they are really playing together now. Zailey is always trying to get Gryffin to do something. Sometime he complies, other times - not so much. Here Zailey is trying to make Gryffin put his helmet on - he's willing to put up with her, but certainly not willing to help.
But my absolute favorite is this movie we took. I love that they are able to take just a little bit of direction. I have no misconceptions about them ever doing what I want, but on occasion they are a little bit mailable.
Here's some more pics from the past month. Hopefully, my next post won't be another 6 weeks away!
2 comments:
aw. love these little guys! so much fun!
That's the sweetest movie ever!
Post a Comment