Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and The Cooky

It was a LONG February for Team Dirty.  Nearly everyone in the house has required medical intervention of some sort.  After Zailey's barrette mishap, Gryffin went in for a scheduled ear tube surgery.  It was easy compared to the barrette!  He got to watch the iPad practically right up until they knocked him out.  Then Jesse twisted his knee and has been using a cane or crutches ever since.  All of this would have been manageable if Lina (our dog) hadn't been diagnosed with diabetes.   She went into diabetic crises (DKA for all you doctors), spent 2.5 days at the emergency vet and came home unable to use her back legs (diabetic neuropathy).  It has been a long haul with Lina's diabetes and Jesse knee.  Lina is just now getting her appetite back - but only for human food.  She gets fresh grilled meat twice daily.  We may never get her to eat dry food again!  She gets 2 shots a day of insulin and her glucose levels are beginning to come down.  She walked down the stairs on her own yesterday but still requires help getting up.  In the beginning I had to carry her up the stairs completely.  Did you know she is nearly has tall as I am if I pick her up by her arm pits! Neither she nor I am very fond of that maneuver.  But I never figured out how to throw her over my shoulder.

Anyway, in the midst of all of that, Jesse's knee is getting better.  Nothing is torn, so we just have to wait.  And we've still managed to have a little of fun.

Here's a 2-story playhouse that Jesse built for the kids before he damaged his knee.  It turns out our couch has awesome cushions that provide enhanced stability.  Note the decorations above the first floor door.  The kids were so proud of their "house."
From Feburary 2013

We also made Valentine's cards for a "friendship party."  I still haven't figured out why Valentine's day is politically incorrect, but at this point in life I have quit asking.
From Feburary 2013

It turns out that Valentine's day cards have come a LONG way since we were kids.  There were all sorts of elaborate choices at Target.  Scratch and sniff, pop-up, tattoo application, and 3-D bags you can fill with candy. 
From Feburary 2013

I have officially given up trying to dress Zailey.  That's just shy of 3.5 years for those of you who were betting against me.  And so, the many outfits of Zailey continue.  She wore this one out dinner (including the helmet - she got lots of varied reactions!).
From Feburary 2013

From Aunt Tracy...
From Feburary 2013

No, Mommy No pictures...
From Feburary 2013

Gryffin on the other hand, loves to have his picture taken and insists on seeing the results.  "Mommy I want to seeeee my picture."
From Feburary 2013

So, here's to hoping that March brings a calmer Team Dirty household!

1 comment:

Meyer-Dombard said...

Love the house! THey can build one for me anytime :)