Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween x2

From Halloween 2014

So, this year's Halloween required 2 costumes per child.  Doing a quick mental calculation...that's 4 costumes we had to come up with.  Why you ask?!  Well, their school has a tradition of turing Halloween into a bit of an event/assignment.  Every student must pick a person from history (hailing from the continent of study for the Fall semester), dress up as them, and then do a mini-presentation of the person's life in class.  Gryffin wanted to be Claude Monet (they studied him in at class last month) and Zailey insisted on being a Queen.  Any queen but A QUEEN.  Goodness - have I mentioned she has a bit of a diva thing going on?  But of course, there were requirements to their available choices:

1.  Only one student in class per historical figure
2.  The Historical Person had to do more good than bad.

This meant we had to come up with a list of 3 queens in European history who weren't portrayed as the wicked woman or downfall of an empire.  When you get right down to it - this is more easily said than done.  Luckily Zailey was the only person to request Queen Elizabeth, 1st and we didn't have to draw upon Mommy's obscure Wikipedia surfing!

Here they are as Claude and Elizabeth.  I can't believe I got her in the wig for the entire morning! Gryffin wouldn't even attempt the beard Monet had.
From Halloween 2014

From Halloween 2014

Note: Jesse "painted" Monet's work shirt, and I purchased Queen Elizabeths outfit.  I had my work cut out for me with Gryffin's "Trick-or-Treat" costume.

Then we all went to school for the morning parade.
From Halloween 2014

From Halloween 2014

The parade was interesting for the adults on multiple levels.  I found myself trying to guess the historical figures based on their costumes - turns out my knowledge of history stinks.  Maybe this sort of activity will help the kids remember famous people better than I can!

That evening we went to a friend's house to trick or treat.  Here are the kids right before we went out.
From Halloween 2014
From Halloween 2014

Zailey is Elsa - like every other girl under 6 was this year.  But, you may ask what exactly is Gryffin.  Unless you are up to date on your obscure Lego character trivia it would elude you.  He is Sparacon, a spider Chima.  Lego Chima is his new obsession.  He builds and builds and builds these Lego sets like there is no tomorrow.  Lego, being the money making machine that they are also has a TV show and books to accompany the sets.  He is OBSESSED.  Does anyone remember the broom years...I'm having flashbacks.
From Halloween 2014

Luckily, Zailey is still in love with her Elsa costume that I made back in May for a Frozen birthday party.
From Halloween 2014

Batman and Sparacon in deep discussion
From Halloween 2014

And here's a few parting shots of my crazy kids!
From Halloween 2014

From Halloween 2014

From Halloween 2014

From Halloween 2014



No comments: