Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Eyebrows, Thank Yous and Gymnastics

So, today was my last class for the year - YEAH!!!!  It has been a long haul this quarter.  But we made it through and even had a few laughs along the way.  But, I have to admit that this summer already feels like it is going to be over way too soon.  Where does the time go?  Yes - I know it's so cliche of me to say!  Here are a few of the laughs we had along the way.

From May 2012


Using the language of some Bay Area Hyper-Obsessive Moms (BAHOM) I met recently, we have been introducing our children to "Enrichment Activities" a.k.a. gymnastics class for toddlers.  They love it.  We take them to a gym with trampolines in the floor, bars, balance beams and a foam pit (a pit with tons of foam blocks sitting on top of a trampoline).  Who wouldn't like this?!  Yet - unbeknownst to me, this particular "enrichment activity" does not earn me the street cred I expected amongst the BAHOMs.  True enrichment activities must incorporate a second (or ideally third) language exposure while demonstrating the physical agility of an Olympic competitor while performing mental math exercises.  :)  Yet, these approved activities wouldn't lead to the following event.  Zailey has really taken to gymnastics.  She particularly loves to swing from the bars.  They have her practicing something called the "window position" (hang from the bar, pull your feet up to the bar in a "V" position and hold it).  Now, the other day I sent her into the bathroom to go potty - something she is perfectly capable of completely on her own.  When she didn't emerge after a reasonable amount of time, I went in to check on her.  She was buck naked, hanging in the V position from the toilet paper holder.  What to do?!  We installed that particular toilet roll holder - I KNOW it has no drywall hangers, the screws were probably just long enough to pierce the drywall and we were lucky if we installed more than one screw per side.  ZAILEY!  GET DOWN!  and GET DRESSED!  Then I turned the corner and laughed my ass off.  I should mention we have totally reached the "naked stage."

From May 2012

The other night we were eating dinner at the table and Gryffin dropped some food on the floor.  He says with great concern, "Mommy, I spilled!" I tell him, that's ok and that we can clean it up.  But, before I could finish my sentence, our biological vacuum cleaner (a.k.a Lina, the dog) jumped into action.  She licked it all up.  Gryffin was thrilled - have I mentioned he has a thing for keeping things cleaned.  Anyone remember the broom obsession?  So, as Lina finished her snack, Gryffin informs me that "Lina cleaned it all up."  Then he turns to Lina and looks straight at her and says "Thank you, Lina."  It was adorable.  He was genuinely grateful that she cleaned up his mess.  I thought to myself - this is wonderful.  He likes to keep things clean, he's bonding with Lina, and he's working on his manners to boot!  Boy - I really need to learn not to get ahead of myself.  The next night he spilled again, only this time he says to me "I'm sharing with Lina!"  Lina jumps to action, eats her snack, and Gryffin "spills" again.  "Mommy - I shared with Lina - AGAIN!"  Yes, Gryffin, how about we limit how much we share with Lina...And so it begins.

From May 2012

Finally, Jesse was reading a book to the kids last night.  The title is "That's not my monkey" and a line in the book goes "That's not my monkey, his eyebrows are too hairy."  Zailey says to Jesse, "Just like yours daddy."  Oh, Zailey.   But's its comments like this that keep everything around here happy and lighthearted.  I love every minute of it!

From June 2012


From June 2012

And 2 points for anyone who can recognise what's really wrong with this picture!

From June 2012



No comments: