Sunday, August 26, 2012

Broken Arm

From August 2012

So, we have our first official broken bone.  In a strange turn of events, Gryffin went on the offensive and was being very aggressive with everyone the other night.  He had just gotten a time out for biting me.   A mere 10 minutes later, I see him out of the corner of my take a running start and shove Zailey full bore into a concrete wall.  The thud of her head hitting the wall could be heard across the patio.  At the time, I didn't realize how hard Gryffin fell into the wall once she collapsed - arms fully locked and extended.  So, I took him to timeout and got a ladybug for Zailey (the ladybugs are just a ice pack in the shape of a ladybug, which are more for distraction than anything else).  But, of course hindsight is 20/20 - and ripe with mommy guilt.  I let Gryffin sit in time out for a few minutes wailing  - not because he got in trouble but because he broke his arm.  Yes, yes, I know there was no way for me to know.  But, we didn't manage to get him into the doctor until the next morning, when absolutely no one but the dog managed to get any sleep that night.  Poor little guy.  He's such a trooper.  And poor Daddy, mommy had to catch a flight to Houston to pick out her new lunar samples (aka Moon rocks) and I just couldn't reschedule, so daddy had to go it alone at the pediatric emergency room.  Not to mention the X-Rays were really tough to get.  Gryffin managed to garner 2 new trucks for himself and a truck for Zailey during the negotiations to get him into the correct positions.  Not quite to the level that I managed at 5 years old when my father was stuck with a child at the doctors office while mom was away (if your counting dad - I got 2 strawberry shortcake dolls and the garden house)!
From August 2012

Gryffin finally got a diagnosis Monday morning (almost 2 days after he broke it), hairline fracture of the humerus caused when falling on a fully extended arm.  He got to pick the color of his cast - purple.  He is actually doing really well with it and very proud of his color choice.
The cast has required a few new purchases in addition to the trucks.  We had to get new pajamas to fit over the cast, button down shirts that are probably a size too big to fit and did you know how difficult it is to find a cast cover (water resistant material for use in the shower or the bath) for children.  So, I made something with vinyl. 
From August 2012

The cast comes off September 20th.  We'll keep you posted!
From August 2012


No comments: