Monday, September 10, 2012

Melt My Heart...

Big things are happening here at the Lawrence household.
   1. 10 days until Gryffin's cast comes off (not that I'm counting the days in earnest!)
   2. The kids are sooo excited about their upcoming birthday. Anytime they see something they want - they tell me that they want it for their birthday. I sense potential disappointment.
   3. We moved the kids out of their cribs. This was a huge step, not for them, but for mommy and daddy. The kids think it is super cool. We were terrified. After 2 nights, things are going just fine. But...
Jesse is in Palm Springs for the next two days. And tonight the kids asked for their cribs back - WHAT!!!! Mommy can't make that one happen. I'm a handy girl, but not that handy. And besides, I thought they loved their new beds. Cross your fingers that I get to full night's sleep without interruption. I only say this, because after I convinced Gryffin he really did like his new bed, he says to me - "Mommy, I want to sleep with you tonight."
My response - "No, Gryffin - you need to stay in your bed. That's what we always do."
Gryffin's reply - "No, mommy I want to keep you company tonight."
I thought this was such a sweet sentiment, that I couldn't help but tell him how nice that sounded. Have I mentioned it took me years to learn to filter my thoughts. It's like there is a high-speed highway from my brain to my mouth. And despite all sorts of negative reinforcement of a bad habit, I haven't quite learned to control it. I spent the next 10 minutes convincing Gryffin of the subtleties between something that sounds nice to do and why we can't actually do it. Again, subtleties are lost on a toddler. Finally, I told him that Titan and Lina keep me company at night. And he was somewhat appeased by this thought. He is such a sweet boy - it just melts my heart.
From Professional - June 2012
And for all my talk of Zailey's strong-willed, takes after mommy personality traits, which I fear during the teenage years. She is a sweetheart too. We were walking out of dinner and she starts telling me about how when she gets bigger shes wants to be a mommy. I said that sounded like a good idea. Her response - "Mommy, I want to be a mommy too. So, I'll be just like you." Again - melt my heart.
From Professional - June 2012

No comments: