Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rhymes and Rules

There has been so much change in Lawrence household the past few months.   BIG CHANGE...
1.  I have left Stanford.
2.  I had a data scientist job at a Palo Alto Start-up.
3.  The job fell through
4.  Jesse is on leave from Stanford.
5.  Jesse is starting his own start-up.
And that's just the job change list.  You probably have many questions. Here's the synopsis of decisions that lead to these changes.  I tried to negotiate a full-time lecturer position with Stanford (there is great need), but they will not hire full-time lecturers.  It's hard to write grant proposals while teaching full-time without support.  So, leaving Stanford is good for my stress level.  The software start-up was a really cool opportunity to get into new fields (medical data, federal data, etc) IF it had been run the right people.  It wasn't.  Again, not working there is good for my stress level.  Jesse has a great business idea that is very time sensitive.  So, for the next 6 months he is on leave from Stanford, working out of the basement with his co-founder and at least 2 - 3 more employees.  I still have a bit of research funds and a place in a friends lab at Stanford to finish up some work.  Otherwise I am taking the summer off.  I'll keep you posted on my next career move.

As far as the kids are concerned, all the upheaval took its toll in the spring.  Lots of tantrums, fighting, and mommy required mediation.  But, in the past few weeks everyone has calmed down and we're having a good time.
From June 2013
The kids love to sing, making up their own songs and performing them for us.  It's adorable.
From July 2013
The songs are also leading to the kids making up their own rhymes.  Gryffin likes to use his magic wand and say a spell to make all sorts of things happen.  The other day he made up the following rhyme:
Magical,
Magical wand
Turn this chair
Into a BEAR!!
Whooossshhhh.... (ass a arm flare and a huge smile)

I was pretty impressed with his rhyming ability.
Zailey then said a similar rhyme of her own making.
Magical,
Magical wand
Turn this stove into a cat. (giggle, giggle!)

Gotta love their differences!
From July 2013

The last story I have for this post is one about Zailey.  The other day I went with a friend to look at adopting her a kitten.  When I came home and told the kids about it, Zailey asks me where our new kitten was.  I told her that we just got a new puppy, a new kitten would be a little too much for us to take on.  She then wanted to know WHEN we could get a kitten.  Not thinking I just told her that when she got older she could adopt her very own kitten.  But, taking after me as she does, she needed to know an exact time.  So, I said "when your...ten (an age I honestly chose at random).  She turns to me and says, "Ok, but when I'm ten I still won't be able to drive a car, right?"  Yes, her very next thought was about her vehicular independence.  This only confirms my belief that we are screwed when she's a teenager!!!!!  Her next question follows the same exact line of thought.  "But, mommy, when I'm ten I WILL be able to walk across the street without holding your hand, right?"  Yes, Zailey...

From March 2013

No comments: