This year the Christmas season has been a lot of fun with the kids. Previous years have been fun, but in a "this is their first experience and/or memory of something" kind of way. This year, they are getting into traditions, they have memories of last year (what they can remember astonishes me!) and most importantly, they can follow instructions enough to make a more complicated task fun. Let's take the time-honored tradition of baking cookies. We've done it in
years past and it was fun, but in a "I'm enjoying the task of herding cats" sort of way. What I love about this year is that personalities really started to show in how they decorated the cookies.
Gryffin was all about mass quantity. He'd slap on the icing, maybe add a second color, shake on some sprinkles and move on. I think he thought the more he decorated, the more he would get to eat.
Zailey was all about precision and completeness. I think she only decorated 1 for every 4 of Gryffin's. But her icing covered absolutely every square millimeter of cookie surface. She was very deliberate about the coloring (although the logic of her choices eludes me). And she was so proud of the ones she completed. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the differences in each of their approaches.
Although the family has been pretty sick the past few weeks. Poor Gryffin has another double ear infection, and Daddy and Mommy are pretty tired,
we've had a great time decorating the house, playing with Christmas lights and spending time together. More on Christmas next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment