Friday, August 5, 2011

Yellowstone

I can't believe I am finally getting around to posting pictures from our Yellowstone trip (mid-June!).
From Yellowstone 2011

July seems to have come an gone in a flash.  So, way back in June, Jesse went to Yellowstone to deploy seismometers for an experiment he is running.  I had my parents come to town to help me with the kids and then 1 parent, 2 grandparents, a set of twins and about a bazillion bags made there way to West Yellowstone for a 5 day trip.  We decided not to camp, but we did rent an RV to get around in the park.  This was a great idea.  The kids called it "the bus."  And they LOVED to ride in it - and in their car seats no less!  But it sure made things like diaper changes easier,
From Yellowstone 2011

It made a great place to play when it was raining outside

From Yellowstone 2011

And I still can't believe that they asked to ride in their car seats.  Honestly, I was prepared to let them roam while we drove around the park - or got stuck in bison viewing lines, but they liked their seats.

From Yellowstone 2011

Just chillin' Mom..

From Yellowstone 2011

This was also the first time we tried renting a place to stay through a website called vrbo.com.  It worked really well.  This was the house we stayed in,

From Yellowstone 2011

And it had a really great view of a lake somewhere north of West Yellowstone,

From Yellowstone 2011

The inside had these huge deer (perhaps elk - but I'm no botanist) heads mounted to wall.  Zailey found them very entertaining. 

From Yellowstone 2011

Now, while doing research for our trip - I can't do anything without reading up first!  I read a lot about taking toddlers to Yellowstone and that it might be good to consider backpack leashes.  There are all sorts of dangerous things for them to get into - say hot steaming sulphur rich pools of water.  We used them once or twice, but they mostly made for some cute pictures.

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

Mostly, the kids liked to take themselves for a walk.  We heard a lot of Zailey's favorite phrase - "Zailey do it," which meant Gryffin had to hold his own too.

From Yellowstone 2011

The hiking backpacks, that we dragged in an extra bag, were much more useful.

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

Zailey even slept in hers.
From Yellowstone 2011

While out and about, Gryffin fell in love with waterfalls and steam.  Here he is admiring a waterfall.
From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

And whenever we were on a boardwalk, he loved to stand and feel the steam on his face.  I never managed to get a picture of this, since Zailey hated steam.  So, half the group would always keep moving, and the camera always managed to be in the wrong group. 

From Yellowstone 2011

Besides the deer, Zailey's favorite part were the accessories - hats and sunglasses. 
From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

All in all it a was a really great trip.  The most important thing we learned was that with toddlers, in order to enjoy a vacation - Less is more! And of course, anything can become a toy.

From Yellowstone 2011

I'll just finish up with a bunch of pictures of beautiful scenery and gorgeous kids. :)

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

From Yellowstone 2011

1 comment:

Blandix said...

Your kids are SOOOO cute!! just want to squeeze them.. Looks like you had lots of fun at Yellowstone.